glow notes

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Mind games

9/10ths of fitness is about my brain, not my body.

Oh yeah, I've got to do the work to get the results. But my body, while it does fatigue, it does demand good nutrition, and it does need care, is pretty resilient. Even an injured body can do a lot when coupled with a well-trained consciousness.

My mind, on the other hand, can be an obedient slave or a petty master.

The brain is like a puppy. It needs to be trained. If it doesn't think you're strong enough to take control, it'll try. And the brain, like a puppy, is ill-equipped to deal with the challenges of running your life.

Example:

Brain says: cardio is boring. Let's eat sour cream 'n' onion potato chips and Chunky Monkey ice cream and watch Chasing Amy again.

-I say: look here, brain, you have an Ipod and over 4000 songs. Take 20 minutes, make yourself a new play list, and huck to it.

-I say: just 20 minutes. OK! We did 20, just 10 more.

-I say: see here, I bet you can't work up from a 10 minute mile to an 8 minute mile over 12 minutes, hold it for 6 minutes, then work your way down. Nah, that'd be tooooo hard.

-I say: ok, well . . . I was thinking about buying us some new jeans in a size 4, but it looks like you don't want to fit into them anyhow . . .

-I say: sure. Let's just finish these hand-coded HTML tables instead. And make sure they're Section 508 compliant. That'll be fun!

-I say: ok, but I saw that new girl from the office at the gym the other day . . . I guess she's just more into it than you are.

Brain says: Wait! Did you SEE the size of that antelope over there! Oh look, my running shoes! Let's put them on!

And so we do.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Damn!!! You are SOOOOO right on with that post. I'm so enjoying my daily activity more by simply having that little chat with Mr.Brain.

    Thank you for being you and doing what you do...and that means keeping it real.

    LUV IT!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home