glow notes

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Cleaning house!

I've been feeling a bit sluggish these past few months. I've had some slumps, some times I've felt overtrained, some sugar cravings, some allergies, some aches and pains. So I decided to do a cleanse. Now, I've done cleanses before, but they were the HARD kind involving fasting and drinking green gook alternated with handfuls of herb pills. I was having a hard time gearing up for that.

So, I bought this amazing little e-book from a very cool holistic health counselor named Christi Lehner. It's called The Ultimate Spring Cleanse Book for Beginners. One thing I love about Christi's approach is that she embraces life's lushness, and this book is true to form. It's inspiring and it helped me look at cleansing in a new way - as a treat for my body, not as medicine!

So, I'm going to post my experience here. I'm doing a 10-day cleanse, which is a longish time, but it's not harsh. It's a simplification, not a drastic reduction. I'm doing the following for my cleanse:

1) Replace my usual morning coffee with green tea

2) Drink lemon juice in water each morning first thing

3) Drink lots of water and delicious cleansing herbal teas

4) Focus on eating cleansing foods (In the book, Christi talks about "building foods" [meats, nuts, fats, dairy, eggs, etc.] and "cleansing foods" [greens, sprouts, fruits, whole grains, etc.]. I'm starting with almost all cleansing foods, then will add in more building foods as my body asks for them.

5) Eat slowly and consciously. Chew 20 times per bite. Be aware while eating - no reading, no computer, etc.

6) Continue to work out, but listen to my body and perhaps replace some weight or cardio workouts with yoga or go for long walks on the beach.

7) Write down my top one blessing each night - and I have a lot to pick from!

8) Give myself a yummy non-food treat each day - for instance, a clay mask, a sugar body scrub, a long hot bath, a massage, a walk with my honey, a trip to the beach. mmmmm . . .massage . . .

9) Oh yeah, and I'm giving some stuff up too. No sugar, no refined carbs, no dairy, no meat for the first few days, no nuked foods.

10) I'm also giving up stress, or at least being aware of reducing it. Simplifying my schedule. Not stressing over being on time for things. Saying 'no" or "not right now" and not even worrying about it (much).

I'm just winding down day 2. Here's the recap.

Day 0 (preparation) -

-Went to the health food store to stock on organic produce, treats (body sugar scrub, new face wash, etc.). Had a rough moment when I saw that they'd restocked the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies to die for. Reminded myself that I am doing this cleanse to feel refreshed and delicious, and that I will eat lots (and lots) of cookies in my life.

-Made a list of treats - some are even FREE - and made a massage appointment for later next week.

-Took a long hot bath with dead sea salts, put on a clay mask, read a good book.

-Went to bed feeling great, ready to get started!

Day 1-

-Felt pretty darned good for no coffee!

-Went to the gym, considered yoga but really wanted to pick up some iron. Felt strong, and like I was sweating out toxins.

-My food choices feel good. My intestines are starting to feel cleaned out. Eating slowly is hard but has merits! Am eating fruit, veggies, oatmeal, sprouts, soy milk, tofu, brown rice, stuff like that.

-Made a pot of split pea soup with veggies and a pot of brown rice to have all week.

-One rough moment when I opened the freezer and saw Husband's ice cream. Reminded myself that it will feel sooooo good to be free of refined crud for awhile.

Day 2-

-Eyes popped open at 6am!

-Went mountain bike riding with Husband. 10 miles! Hoo ya! I'm getting better at it, too. Felt really energetic, had lots of endurance.

-Had a big plate of fresh veggies with hummous for lunch. Tasted good, but chewing this much is getting old. I'll be glad to have soup for dinner.

-Took Raisin to the beach. Mmmmm . . .ocean air! Took a dip. Came home and sat in the hot tub, chlorine be damned. Then a long hot shower with sugar scrub, followed by mango body butter.

-Soup and sprouts for dinner. Mmmm mmmm good!

-Did I mention all the cherries, berries, nectarines, etc. I've been eating? Oh man, summer fruit is better than baked goods anyhow, any day!

-I feel a hungry, but not starved. I feel lighter and refreshed already! Tomorrow I'll add in some almond butter and sprouted grain bread (manna bread - the kind that looks like a bread bullet and isn't baked) after my workout for energy. Plus cherries.

I'll keep logging my experience. I really recommend Christi's book if you're interested in doing a cleanse (she gives lots of options and ideas - it doesn't have to look anything like mine). And let me know how it goes!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:11 AM, Blogger aaaw said…

    Very good information. Thank you for sharing it :)

    aaaw
    http://greenteaplace.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home