glow notes

Sunday, May 15, 2005

spiritbody

Over the last visit with my mom, which was during the tour de France, I mentioned something about how amazing Lance Armstrong was. My mom made a little face and said "yeah, but what's the point?"

The point, for me, is that the man has sure as heck found his North Star. He's discovered the one thing that God made him to do and boy, does he do it! Or, if you aren't into the Big G, just call it talent. Whatever. The point is, we all have a North Star and our only job on earth is to do it for all it's worth. (It's not always one thing, of course. It may be a whole way of life.)

A colleague the other day said something about Southern California (where we live) being body and fitness obsessed. OK, there are arguments for that. But is taking care of your body a bad thing?

These conversations got me thinking about the disconnect we have in our society with our bodies. Like they're somehow separate from the rest of our beings.

Sometimes I almost feel like apologizing for my deltoids, biceps, and pectorals. Explaining that I lift weights and run and eat well because I love it. Because it's a treatment for years of debilitating anxiety and depression and insomnia. Because I seem to have an on/off switch for taking care of myself, and I'd rather it be on. Not because I'm shallow.

More than that, exercise and eating right are spiritual practices for me. It is about choosing life. Of choosing to live fully. Of being embodied: living in my body. That may sound silly, but most of us run around living in our heads most of the time and forget all about how we really feel down there at ground zero. How do you feel right now? Warm? Cool? How's your tummy doing? Your left foot? What feels good in your body right now? What hurts? Is your jaw clenched? Exercise and conscious eating bring me back to my body.

One of the other blogs I read talks about a article on exercise as spiritual play. It's a really cool, thought-provoking little article, written from a Unitarian perspective, but not really religious in tone. Her first point is that exercise is a treat. It's being a kid and going out for recess. It's the joy of moving, sweating, breathing hard. It's the joy of being on the planet for this fleeting time, of being flesh and salt and blood and nerves.

And that, for me, is a big old golden key.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very nice site!
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home